Sunday, January 27, 2013

Steubenville and Society.

I find that it is a sad day when I have to read an article about how Ohioans are not acting properly for my WGS class. This literally makes me sick. I grew up in the best place on earth, Uniontown, Ohio, with a wonderful community and a loving family. Is it really too much to ask that we not put our athletics above our community? Is it too much to ask that Steubenville take a more powerful stand than what they have? And is it too much to ask that I not be judged because I am from Ohio?

This horrible crime should not define the state or the community. It defines our society. When will we wake up and realize that? When will we see that we need to treat our women with respect and not allow the perpetrators of these heinous crimes to be protected and sheltered?

I'm not sure what I'm more angry about--the crime itself, the media for giving Steubenville and Ohio a bad reputation, the fact that the community is being persecuted, the fact that these boys are being protected, or the fact that this is what our society has come down to now.

I don't understand.

The 18,437 Perpetrators of Steubenville









No comments:

Post a Comment